Skip to main content
Skip to navigation

This site is archival. Please visit the current MIZZOU magazine site for up-to-date content.

Around the Columns

Business gets a new name

cornell hall

On Oct. 19, 2007, MU’s business college was renamed the Robert J. Trulaske Sr. College of Business. The new name honors the late Trulaske, BS BA ’40, who with his wife made a series of donations to the college, housed in Cornell Hall on Carnahan Quadrangle. Photo by Ernie Gutierrez

In honor of a series of gifts over the past decade from one of its star graduates, the College of Business now calls itself the Robert J. Trulaske Sr. College of Business. Many other named business schools — University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School and Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business — are heavy hitters. The Trulaske gift should be enough to lift the school substantially in national rankings of quality.

After graduating from MU in 1940 with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, Trulaske worked for Procter & Gamble until World War II. As a combat pilot, he took part in D-Day and other battles. After the war, he married Geraldine Mellor and started a company with his brother and father. Robert’s company is a leading manufacturer in the food-service and soft-drink industries worldwide. Although Robert died in 2004, Geraldine has continued to make donations to the college.

Her most recent gift supports a range of the college’s priorities, including professional development of undergraduate business students, the School of Accountancy, the Crosby MBA Program, research, doctoral education, entrepreneurship, economic development, financial services, information technology, diversity, collaboration with the business community, and quality learning. Earlier gifts from the Trulaskes include money to endow six faculty positions and scholarship funds that now support 36 students in the college’s undergraduate and graduate programs. MU gave Trulaske an honorary doctorate in 2002.